As part of their core benefits to cardholders, all premium credit cards have upped the stakes to help sweeten the nightly deal at hotels worldwide with bespoke benefits when booking through the cards’ respective online portal or card concierge.
Book your hotel through American Express’ Fine Hotels & Resorts (FHR) program, Chase’s Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection program, Luxury cards’ The Luxury Card VIP Hotel & Travel Program, or U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite®’s Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection, and expect perks like free room category upgrades, lavish breakfasts, welcome amenities, spa credits, and 4 p.m. check-outs.
But while these perks are indeed excellent, they happen to apply only to specific hotels within each card’s bespoke program. This covers a total of 975 properties through Amex’s FHR program, 900 through Chase and U.S. Bank’s programs, and 3,000 through the Luxury card VIP program.
Given this shortcoming and to give greater scope of access to benefits, one credit card also gifts elite status to a trio of hotel chains as a cardmember benefit: The Platinum Card from American Express.
With the click of a button through your Amex log-in or a quick phone call to the number on the back of the card, cardholders of The Platinum Card from American Express can upgrade to Gold Status with the loyalty programs of Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton without meeting any stay requirements. With a total of 1,500 hotels and resorts in the Starwood portfolio (across 11 distinct brands), 6,000 hotels and resorts in the Marriott portfolio (across 19 distinct brands), and 5,000 hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio (across 19 distinct brands), that’s bonus perks at over 12,500 hotels and resorts. Here’s what you’ll get with each coveted Gold Status.
Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Status
Getting Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Status typically requires completing 10 eligible stays or 25 eligible nights in a calendar year. To by-pass this requirement and get Gold Status, Amex Platinum cardmembers can call 1-800-525-3355, provide their SPG number, and upgrade their status.
Those with Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Status receive:
• Space-available room upgrades at all brands except Aloft and Element
• 4 p.m. late check-out (subject to availability at resort and conference center hotels)
• Choice of welcome amenity: bonus Starpoints®, complimentary enhanced in-room Internet access or a complimentary beverage
• 3 Starpointsfor every eligible US dollar spent—that’s a 50% bonus over base-level membership
Also note that SPG program amenities may be combined with the FHR program.
Marriott Rewards Gold Elite Status
Getting Marriott Rewards Gold Elite Status typically requires 50 eligible nights in a calendar year. To by-pass this requirement and get Gold Elite Status, Amex Platinum cardmembers simply need to link their Starwood Preferred Guest number with their Marriott Rewards number (after registering for Gold Status with Starwood). Once the two are linked, the SPG status will transfer to Marriott.
Those with Marriott Rewards Gold Elite Status receive:
• Guaranteed Lounge Access/Breakfast for gold member plus one guest at JW Marriott® Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® and Marriott Hotels®, and Delta Hotels® (resorts excluded)
• Space available room upgrades
• 4 p.m. late check-out (guaranteed)
• Complimentary enhanced Internet access
• 25% bonus on Marriott Rewards Points
Hilton Honors™ Gold Status
Getting Hilton Honors Gold Status typically requires 20 eligible stays or 40 eligible nights in a calendar year. To by-pass this requirement and get Gold Status, Amex Platinum cardmembers can enroll in this benefit by calling the number on the back of the card.
With Hilton Honors Gold Status, you’ll receive:
• Space-available room upgrades at Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts™, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio – A Collection by Hilton, and DoubleTree by Hilton™
• Late check-out (subject to availability)
• 25% bonus points on all the Hilton Honors Base Points you earn
• Fifth reward night free on standard room reward stays of five nights or more